Saturday, July 10, 2010

This is the life

Well, daughter is still sick! We took her to the doctor on Wednesday. They did a strep swab and it came back negative. They couldn’t find anything else to indicate otherwise so it was diagnosed as a virus.

Wednesday night, daughter broke out in a rash. It isn’t itchy or anything, but she was still having fevers. I left a message for the doctor Thursday to update them. I missed the nurse calling back because I was outside watering the plants, but doctor said daughter’s fever had probably broken and the virus would run it’s course. I called back (but it was after hours by then) and left another message to tell them her fever had not broken before the rash developed and that she was still having fever spikes. Our doctor doesn’t work on Friday, but his office called back that morning while we were out (I had packed up daughter to go buy milk . . . I know she was sick and all, but I had no milk and couldn’t leave her home alone). They had reviewed the case with another doctor in the office who decided to treat with antibiotics and had faxed a prescription to the pharmacy.

First of all, you have to understand that I’m not a fan of treating viruses with antibiotics and creating super viruses. Second, I trust our personal doctor, but not some of the others in the office. So, hubby and I debated about whether or not to pick up the prescription (the pharmacy is open until 9:00 pm so we had time). If it had been any of my other children, I probably would have made them tough it out until our personal doctor returned to the office on Monday, but, with daughter’s past medical history (she’s the one who got RSV, almost died, had heart surgery to repair two holes in her heart, and now has a leaky aortic valve), we decided we better have the prescription over the weekend, just in case.

So, I went to pick up the prescription last night at about 8:30.

Not being our regular doctor, the other physician had called in a prescription for pills. My daughter will NOT swallow a pill.

It’s probably for the best since it’s likely a virus anyway, but daughter is still having fevers today (though not above 100.4 so far) so we’re kind of stressed and trying not to freak out too bad . . . but we always freak out when it comes to her.

Still, I managed to get a bit of writing done Thursday and yesterday as she lay in my bed and watched TV (the TV is distracting enough, but she kept asking questions and making comments about the programs she watched).

My MIL will be bringing the other two kidlets home this afternoon, so I have to take some time to straighten up the house before she gets here. I’m hoping to write more after MIL leaves, but I’m sure kidlets will want to tell me all about what fun they had so I doubt my writing will happen.

That being said, I’m still determined to finish this rewrite before the end of the month (yeah, time is running out)!

Write on . . . well, unless you have cleaning or kids or something else you have to do first. ;-)


  1. I really hope that your daughter feels better. I saw that you are a part of the Debut Author Challenge! That is so amazing that you are supporting debut authors and I only recently found out that I am going to be one!!! I wanted to ask if you wouldn’t mind heading over to my blog and giving me your opinion. As a blogger turned author I would really appreciate it and the publisher is still giving out ARCs so you might have a chance at a free copy! Thank you and I hope you will stop by and check out The Thirteenth Chime!

    Emma Michaels

    P.S.- My release date if Friday the 13th (August this year) isn't that crazy?

  2. She's doing better, thanks! I'll go check out your book. I also do reviews for . . . your publisher might want to consider sending an ARC to them. =)