Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking back . . . looking forward

This year has been one of both endings and new beginnings.

Looking Back

At the beginning of the year, I ended my job. This was bitter sweet. I loved my job (archivist), but I missed having time to write.

After I quit my job, I had plenty of time to write, but felt like I should be doing something more. After much thought and discussion with hubby and kids, it was decided I should go back to school and work toward Elementary Education. This was a new beginning for the entire family. It has gone well so far and 2010 will see me back in school.

While this has taken up some of my writing time (homework), I'm happy with how it is going. Also, my mind seems to work better. LOL

In 2009, I attended the SCBWI AZ Welcome to Our House conference. I learned so much from the critique I received (thank you, Bradford Hees from Blooming Tree Press!) and also from the workshops and talks from the faculty. What a wonderful experience!

I became the ANWA newsletter editor and what a fun experience that is!

I volunteered in my kids' school on a regular basis (Fridays).

2009 also saw the release of some fabulous books, and I enjoyed reading many of them. Unfortunately, I didn't get to all of them and I still have a huge pile waiting for me.

Many other wonderful things happened in 2009. I made new friends and got to know old friends a bit better. I embarked on a journey into Twitterland (it's almost as strange and bizarre as Wonderland).

Looking Forward

And now it's time to look forward. What will 2010 bring? I suppose it depends on what I want it to bring. I must seek what I wish to find. No treasure was ever found without first searching for it. I mean to find me some darn good treasure in 2010, and 2009 helped get me started along the path.

Every year is an adventure and I'm completely looking forward to the experiences I'll enjoy as I follow the paths of 2010. Hopefully I won't make a wrong turn. =D

I look forward to some awesome releases in 2010 (you can see my list over on the right and I'm sure it will grow).

Dreaming Big

As inevitably happens, a new year is a time for new goals. These are some of mine (because if I don't share them, I won't be accountable).

Some Writing Goals:

Write at least one new novel

Send out queries on my other works

Attend at least one writing conference

Write at least one day a week (giving myself some leeway with school and all that)

Get a Macbook Pro (I won't be getting it in January as I hoped) and learn to use it

Enter at least one writing contest

Update my blog at least once a month (yeah, I was bad with that in 2009)

Keep up with my critique groups

Do at least one full MS exchange with someone new (meaning someone outside my critique groups)

Some Personal Goals:

Read all the 2010 books on my list (on the right)

Add at least one more book to my list

Pass my classes with a C or better (which requires a few smaller goals to reach . . . like do my homework on time, not miss class, etc.)

Reach level 44 on Farmtown (stupid Facebook games)

Not spend so much time on Facebook games (I know this seems to contradict the previous goal, but really it doesn't. I'll just have to cut down on all the other games I play and concentrate on Farmtown hee hee hee)

Go on a date with hubby at least once a month (2009 was light on the date front)

Learn to use my new camera

What are some of your 2010 goals?

Write on.

No comments:

Post a Comment