Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Fraction

It's Friday and that means it's time to give you a taste of my work. Last week's came from DESTROYER'S HOPE so it's only fair I give you a bit from WOLFSBANE AT MIDNIGHT this time.

A bit of clarification before you dive in. Wicche is what they call those with magical powers (it's pronounced WIK-chee so bewicched below would be be-WIK-cheed). Also, this is their first meeting, but Oren has just kissed Scarlet.

It still needs work, but here it is:

Oren stumbled back. "I think you've bewicched me, Scarlet Dimity." His eyes flashed as he glared at her.

"I can't, I don't have any powers." Scarlet's blood pounded through her veins. She wanted nothing but to feel his arms and taste his lips again. Her body trembled with longing. She turned from the anger in his eyes and bent to fumble with the spilled contents of her basket. "I don't understand what just happened. I've never . . . I mean, I'm sorry if you . . ."

"You didn't cast some sort of spell on me?"

"What? No, of course I didn't. You're the one who's been buying potions from my grandmother." Scarlet's hand flew over her mouth and she shot to her feet.

"She told you about my potions?" Oren reached her before she even saw him move. He gripped her arm so tightly her fingers went numb. His eyes bore into hers, daring her to lie.

"No," Scarlet said quickly. "No, she wouldn't do that."

"Then how do you know I've been buying potions?"

"I only know what I saw through the curtain," Scarlet blurted. She burned with embarrassment.

"You spied on me?"

"Not you in particular. I spy on other people too." Scarlet clamped her mouth shut. Why hadn't she been born mute? Life would be so much simpler.

Silence hung in the air between them.

Scarlet tore her arm from his grasp, snatched up her herb basket, and hurried away toward the garden. She was seriously considering eating some belladonna berries to end her misery.

 

I hope you enjoyed today's fraction.

Write on.

No comments:

Post a Comment